Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Tunny ready for the wobbly at last

Yesterday I removed the flushmount rodholder that had been installed in the centre hatch. This was inconvenient both when putting things in the hatch and when inverting the ski to drain it after surf capsizes. I removed all the sikaflex, sanded top and bottom then resined in a small square of fibreglass mat on the underside, covering the main hole and the bolt holes. When this had cured I bogged (resin & talc) the upper side to be level with the top of the hatch.

Today, I sanded back the bog and painted on a coat of resin for a glossy finish. When that cured I covered it with self-adhesive velcro strips. In the meantime, I line the inside edge of the hatch with hatch seal tape, leaving a small channel for my sounder power cable, bolted some chopping board to the sounder pedestal and stuck the other half of the velcro strips to the bottom of the chopping board. Bolted the suction cup to the transducer.

So there you have it. The ski is now ready to take on the challenge of fishing the wobbly. And I'm on leave for three weeks come Friday!

Sorry about the photos, but at least you can see what I've done




4 comments:

Daft Wullie said...

Oh very nice - now for some fish !!!!

Gatesy said...

Looking noice Mr Liddy

So thats the plan in regards to the transducer?

Do you just reach over once your past the breakers and stick it to the bottom?

Hey maybe we should play spot the difference between your fibreglass job and Daftwullies :D

paddleperil said...

Mike, yes just lean over and stick it on. Tried it this morning and it worked brilliantly. A bit harder to get it off, which is a good thing off course.

The big difference between our skis is that mine gets wet and blood (not mine) on it

Daft Wullie said...

"The big difference between our skis is that mine gets wet and blood (not mine) on it"

You will keep - as far as I am concerned the race for a legal kingy is still on - and it looks like I might beat you with one arm tied behind my back - and Daves Fiberglassing job is a lot better than mine.