Saturday, December 6, 2008

D is for ...

Date: 6/12/2008
Launch: 5:10am
Next tide: 8:44 High
Wind: Negligible
Sea: .3m swell, calm
Return: 8:00
Days since new moon: 7
Water temp: Forgot to check
Location: Spot D
Catch: Snapper - 34cm & 39cm FL

D is for Spot D if course.

With spectacular conditions forecast Spot A was going to be a circus and Spot D beckoned. This was my first true ocean launch on the Cobra but the hardest part was dragging it on the cart over the dry sand. Speaking of which, I waited for a break, launched, cleared the terrifying :) surf line, deployed my lures and began paddling before I realised I hadn't taken the yak off the cart. A black speck on the beach confirmed this. So I paddled back in with the lures stowed, retrieved the cart and promptly had the yak overturned by the shorebreak as I tried to turn it around. Bugger! Sand and salt in both reels.

Anyhow, paddled back out without further incident. Paddled around a bit looking for the desired structure. A pod of dolphins cruised past. Found the spot I was looking for, marked it and checked the drift then paddled off to set a drift over the mark.

Was drifting a 7" opening night bass assassin on 1/4oz 7/0 TT jig and casting a 4" pumpkinseed power minnow on 1/8oz 5/0 jig. Felt a fish hit the lure and take off like only a snapper does. Not huge but boated shortly after and measured at 34cm FL. Killed it and was taking some photos when it flipped out of my hand and into the water. Fortunately it was near dead and I scooped it up and dispatched it properly. Next thing I know the other rod has gone off with lots of weight but all I got back was the mainline. Then the other line goes off with a reef ooglie and I got a succession of them (flowerpot, sb, butchers prick) while rerigging the drift rod and getting it back in the water. Finally that was done and while dealing with an ooglie that rod went off and again the unmistakable fight of a snapper, this time a little bigger at 39cm FL. All by about 6:45.

Tried a few more drifts but it was hard to set a good drift in the flukey conditions. Decided I had enough for dinner and I should get back to strip down the reels. A trouble free landing with a good run on a wave as I kept paddling to keep it straight (couta's video of duran being very helpful here).

Oh, and D is for dinner too!

6 comments:

Daft Wullie said...

D is for dreadfully well done old bean, Bravo - D is for damn delightful denizen location.

Anonymous said...

shame a about the dunking Dave, but well done on a couple of reds ans A+++ for effort...good stuff!!

cheers
T-curve

Gatesy said...

Dave

I know it is little consolation but i now find pulling reels apart very relaxing and a lot of fun. Perhaps i should have dunked my reels more often :D

I am glad you got a few snapper but i was really waiting/HOPING to read that you'd scored a few legal kingfish with the kayak flotilla out of what i think is your SPOT A ???????

WELL done mate but i really sounds like you need to extract the digit and get the back rest for the new surf toy :)

cheers and looking forward to the next report

Gatesy

Anonymous said...

ahhh hahhhh snapper are 100% better than those lousey eating kingfish my mate and i used to mush up for fish cakes , a snapper a day keeps dave out tp play , well done mate , this is a late comment but was looking for todays

paddleperil said...

You're right Mike. I did pull it apart but found a couple of screws very tough so didn't go all the way. After I put it back together it was still very stiff and spool didn't engage when turning the handle. Sent it in to Daiwa and they charged about $60 to replace four bearings and clean it all up. Good as new now, which is just as well as its only had a few outings

paddleperil said...

BTW, I won't be visiting spot A while the circus is in town. Will be looking elsewhere for that elusive legal king