Saturday, October 25, 2008

Another quiet day

Date: 25/10/2008
Launch: 6:10am
Next tide: High 6:30am
Wind: 5kt NW
Sea: Calm, 2m swell
Return: 11:00am
Days since new moon: 24
Water temp: 19
Location: Spot A, Spot C
Catch: Nothing

Late start this morning saw me trolling out to Spot A in daylight. Near the usual spot, the viper bent over and a a tussle with a rat king ended as I tried to lift it into the yak and the sp (bass assassin 7" crystal shad) went one way while the fish made off another way. Drift was SE being mostly breeze, although there was a weak southerly current.

A boat was sitting on my target area for snapper. Worse, one of its passengers was Southerly, who was at that stage pulling in yakkas. This completely interfered with my intended drift. I tried a couple of drifts, including casting with the new outfit (Major Craft Slicer 6'6" 12-20lb rod with AlphaS 150 reel and 25lb Saltwater PE braid) with a 15g Duel Salty Rubber Castable.

No touches so thought I'd go looking for a new spot and revisit an old one. The new spot is reachable most easily from the recently scouted launch location but there were no boats there today and I wasn't prepared for the search. Found one or two locations that may have some promise but had trouble reconciling what I saw on the sounder with what I recalled from the chart. Flicked around a little bit but cut my losses and headed over to Spot C.

Spot C has never really produced for me but gives a little every time I go there and is generally very quiet. Once again, drifting and casting produced little despite promising shows on the sounder. Finished up with one just undersized snapper and a couple of sergeant bakers. One of the bakers came on the new rig so I suppose its blooded. Next time something more substantial. The snapper came on old faithful while a pumpkinseed blurp had a few hits, including a serious mauling, but nothing stuck.

Paddled back to the launch taking the long way around the waves breaking over the reef which were being enjoyed by a few guys on skis. Caught up with Southerly at the cleaning table. He had some good kings (to about 80cm) caught on live yakkas. Must say that a week off and the lurgi meant that 16km of paddling took its toll. Time for a nap before going out to dinner tonight

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was a great day for a paddle Dave even if things were a bit quiet. Least you got a couple to keep you interested but somethings got to happen sooner or later.

cheers
T-curve

Daft Wullie said...

Count your blessings - at least you made it out. However these Spot D fish need to be sorted - you allowed your head to be turned by the lure of 'easy' prey and the comfort of the known, nose to the grindstone young man and seek greener pastures.

paddleperil said...

True DW. On the other hand I wasn't going to launch into that swell so I was always going to pass Spot A

Checked the chart this morning and entered a guestimate into the GPS. I was pretty close to Spot D. Will find it next outing