With the lurgi demanding that I rest this weekend, this warm, sunny, calm weekend, I took the opportunity for some scouting of spots by Google Earth and land-based inspection. And I found one. A portage with a few small bumps at either end will see a surf launch with some protection afforded by the nearby bommie. Close in is shallow reef interspersed with sand which could see me get my first legal open water flathead and is a likely spot for smaller snapper. Further out there are a number of dropoffs for me to find. On my nautical chart, this structure looks every bit as promising as Spot A and this morning there were about four boats on the spot. Further out again is another spot that I've tried in the past with little success but I'm sure I just need to unlock its promise.
I will be giving this a try. If the launch and retrieval are not too difficult then I think I'll be making it my preferred spot. Happy to put in the time as I did at Spot A to work out these new locations. One advantage of this launch spot is the variety of fishing options that it offers. Indeed, a headland nearby is not out of reach and will provide some trolling opportunities.
Of course, this might just be another way for me to avoid catching a legal kingfish. Let's see
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Looking at the spot you propose it may be ideal - the problem with new spots is having to think outside the box - leaving areas that you are confident that you know where the fish are and how to tackle them - never look back, onwards and up wards.
Post a Comment