I totally stuffed up
Date: 6/9/2008
Launch: 5:45am
Next tide: Low 5:45am
Wind: NW 15 down to 5kt
Sea: 0.5m swell with 0.5m chop reducing to 0.5m swell
Return: 10:00am
Days since new moon: 5
Water temp: 18.5
Location: Spot A
Catch: Nothing
Out with first light and start drifting. Kings start hitting the surface but not interested in what I offered (Tiki Waveworm in white/glow, Bass Assassin Twitch 6" in smoke pepper). Couple of drifts later I'm casting a 15g pink Duel Salty Rubber Cast when the kings are on the surface again. In my eagerness to cast to them I didn't grip the rod well enough and my TD Advantage rod with Saltist HRF reel sinks surely to the bottom.
Spent over an hour trying to jig it up with two 1/2oz jig heads on the other rod. Gave up after many snags but no joy and returned to chasing the kings that had periodically taunted me in small schools. Their activity was never enough to attract the birds but they were hitting something I never saw on the surface. My plastics just never seemed to interest them.
A dive boat arrived on the spot where I lost my rod so I told them my tale of woe in the hope that someone might find the rod. Paddled over to a tinny with two guys who had been chasing the kings all morning to see one of them hooked up and the other throwing smaller sps than I had been. They weren't helpful but I think they were only getting small fish.
The early wind died down to a lovely morning but I was in no mood to enjoy it and headed in. Was intercepted by Yakman on his ski and we had a good chat. Good to catch up Phil.
Now to get some replacement tackle and ready myself for next time. Sob
Monday, October 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Hi Dave,
Nice little haven you have created here mate.Very impressiveI enjoyed catching up today Dave... very sad to here about your rod.
No doubt our paths will cross often at spot "A" now that we have switched from snapper to the mighty king.
Cheers Phil.
Hard luck Dave - yep a day at home caring for 2 kids, and a crook sea eagle supporter
Oooh thats got to hurt - I suppose even your gear will be calling you 'Peril' from now on :). Good to see the kings on the way back, time to out do the eastern suburbs society set.
Ouch Dave, i feel your pain as i to once lost a t-curve/symetre combo over the side and it gives you that #$%^! feeling !! I know one thing though, it gave me a good excuse to go shopping again..lol. Good to see the kings on the scene though eh.
cheers
T-curve
Bad news mate , but i'm sure another bigger and better rod will come along , good to see some kingfish action , hopefully it will get thick and fast from here on , i still havnt tried kingfish shisimior well cooked kings we used to make fish rissoles out of them
Post a Comment