Saturday, December 4, 2010

A bonny time

Date: 2010-12-04
Launch: 06:00
Next tide: High 07:40
Wind: N 5-10kts
Sea: 1m NE swell
Return: 09:00
Days since new moon: 28
Water temp: 19.2
Location: Spot A
Catch: 7 bonito

Headed out with the ski patrol this morning. A few spots of rain, barely noticeable, but the wind was much lower than recent days' forecasts would have had it. Many, many bluebottles on the shore and in the water, signifying several days of NE winds.

Trolled out a stickbait and a jointed hardbody. At the usual morning spot the stickbait was taken. Damned fish turned me around then came around the other line and made a mess if it. So much so that it caught on the leader knot of the line with the fish, causing it to jam in the tip guide. So I had to handline in the fish, which of course was a small king. Sent it back and spent the next 10-15 minutes cutting lines and retying the leaders.

Headed back to my intended spot and found myself watching individual fish break the water in large numbers over a large area - bonito. So I pulled out the 10lb cast rod with a 7g searock on it. Cast and hit. Cast again and it stuck. Only a little one. Cast again, a few misses then on. I must have done this for at least 30 min, boating 7 bonito between 35 and 60cm. The bigger ones were a lot of fun on the light line and the cheap little cast outfit handled it very well. As for the searock, check the photo. Every bit of enamel removed by the very sharp teeth of the bonnies.

Having taken what I felt was more than enough (some shared with my companions), I tried drifting for snapper. Alas, not a hit. When solid rain started moving in it was time to paddle home

No comments: