Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ah Magoo, you've done it again

Harbour again this morning, launching at first light. Trolled a couple of sps around the headland with no interest and settled into a squidding session. Unfortunately, the squid were unmoved by my offerings. Snagged on kelp a few times so I was doing some of the right things. Water was very clear and sun was out. Might need to downsize or lengthen leader next time.

Redeployed the sps for the troll back and was rounding a point when one went off. Was a little nervous as I was close to a bommie but eventually pulled in a salmon. Was about to deal with it when the yak lurched towards the bommie, presumably in response to a fish on the other line. Just then a wave rolled it and I did a 180 around the main axis :) Climbed back on to find a massive tangle of lines between the four rods and the first fish still hanging on. Second one had gone. Paddled out of the danger zone, then cleaned up the mess and headed home to strip down my reels.

This is the second time I've gone over chasing salmon. Having multiple lines in the water when close to the wash probably isn't a good idea. Buggers are hardly worth it although the one I caught today put up a good fight and has metamorphosed into fish cakes. Thanks to the boats that came over to make sure I was OK. Only loss was my anchor line and the reels have all cleaned up nicely

3 comments:

Gatesy said...

Dave

hahahaha

Doesn't matter which kayak your on you always find a way to take an unscheduled swim

Classic

cheers

Gatesy

paddleperil said...

Thought you'd enjoy it Mike. But it was the tupperware

Unknown said...

Watch those salmon Dave, buggas will pull you over before you know it...lol. Better luck next time fella !!

cheers
T-curve