Saturday, November 28, 2009

Date: 28/11/2009
Launch: 5:40am
Next tide: 5:45am high
Wind: ~5kt N
Sea: <1m NE swell
Return: Around 9:30
Days since new moon: 10
Water temp: 20.7
Location: Spot A
Catch: Numerous rats

Surprised to find myself alone at the ramp this morning, save for a couple of boats launching. Decided they'd provide enough company so headed out in excellent conditions and a rising sun. Mist further out filtering the sun's rays. Settled into my usual drift for snapper.

On my second drift I was quickly enveloped by the mist, with the wind rising a bit and bringing some steeper chop. Now I really was alone - couldn't see land or any of the nearby boats. Despite having two GPS units with me, I decided that it was prudent to head in.

Halfway back I encountered two paddlers, with one of the craft unmistakeably Crusty's. The mist was burning off so I decided to stick with Mark and his mate Trevor, who was paddling a very slick looking seakayak. We headed to one of the better known marks and proceeded to catch rat after rat, ranging from 40-55cm.

Don't think I've caught as many in a session before. One I settled into a pattern, it went something like this:

1 hookup, fight fish
2 note hookup on other rod
3 boat or drop first fish (had a few dummy spits but no bustoffs)
4 boat or drop second fish (most boated)
6 rerig sps (mostly just by shortening them, the hardiest sp caught 4 or 5 fish)
7 paddle back towards start point
8 see step 1

In the end, I gave up on having two lines out, just used the baitcaster. Headed in very satsified. Not a bad morning for an old bloke with a dicky ticker.

Mark and Trevor approached it differently, but shared in the non-stop action using bait strips, sps and jigs

No comments: