Sunday, August 31, 2014

Sometimes words have two meanings

And the word is light

The day mellowed beautifully and so did the sea. Which saw the stealth armada making a late afternoon assault on the local snapper population.

I planned to paddle straight out and set a drift while setting up all the gear. Plan changed when the spectra on the right pedal failed. No quick fix occurred to me so I reverted to plan A to give me a chance to fix it. Exhausting paddle, fighting the rudder all the way, then deployed the drogue and set to work. Took about 10 min to jury rig the cable. Then got out all the electronics only for the GPS mount to break. Finally set up, ready to fish. At the end of that drift I scored and released a small amberjack.

Phil headed south, returning with a fish around 1.5kg.

The sun started going down and Phil headed in, justifiably satisfied. Henry persisted but with his family waiting headed in. I stuck it out, planning another 15min. Pulled up the drogue to hasten the drift to the reef but didn't get much further before the telescopic rod loaded up, the reel peeled line and tail beats were felt. Another good fight and I lifted a 2.75kg 55cm fl snapper into the hatch. And yes, the other line had a fish on it - 1.25kg

Bit exciting surfing back over the reef on green waves in the failing light but in without drama.

Is snapper fishing all about light - light tackle and low light?

No comments: