Saturday, May 29, 2010

Traffic light

Date: 29/5/2010
Launch: 13:00
Next tide: Low 14:40
Wind: 5-10kt northerly
Sea: 1.5m E swell with a small chop
Return: 16:00
Days since new moon: 15
Water temp: 21.1
Location: Spot A
Catch: Snapper, Amberjack, Kingfish

Had organised to join Dave & Henry at dawn, but the wind and rain changed our minds. Got a text from Henry just before noon saying he was at the ramp and it was looking OK, so I hastily ate lunch and joined him.

Started out badly, getting snagged on the rocks near the launch as I took too long to set up after tossing out my plastics. Trolled the other plastic to the mark and proceeded to drift while I rerigged the other line. Interrupted by an arc in the rod. Pulled in a snapper (Red) 30-35cm in length that was foul hooked. Felt generous so I liberated it.

Later in the same drift the bass assassin twitch was snaffled by a bigger fish. This fish had plenty of muscle and keep fighting all the way up, really testing the baitcaster and the little slicer rod. A nice looking king (Green) came up and was boated. Henry measured it for me but 64 was the best we could get without resorting to the infamous stretch so it too was liberated.

More drifts, a clearly undersized snapper, a red rock cod and a dropped fish later, I hooked up to a a fighter that was clearly smaller than the earlier king. Lift it into the hatch and about to release when I realised the tail wasn't yellow. It was an amberjack (Amber) about 50cm. Decided to take it home

Nothing more for me after that. Henry managed a couple of keeper snapper and a small king.

Unbelievable to have a prime fishing spot in a crowded city to ourselves. Not complaining of course

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Red....2xStealth ski.
Orange....1xOcean Kayak.
Green....1x colour of the ocean.

M.V.

DaveBeat said...

Dave great to you guys got out, sitting having breakfast on Sunday and there is no wind in the trees but a terrible forecast hmmmm
Well done and the feed and oooohhh so close to the 65.
Woooopie??

Unknown said...

ready, set go......... nice one fellas