Friday, April 10, 2009

Mmmmm, double smoked

Date: 10/4/2009
Launch: 6:00am
Next tide: High 8:30am
Wind: 10kt NW-W
Sea: 1m mixed swell
Return: 9:00am
Days since new moon: 14
Water temp: 20
Location: Spot D
Catch: Nothing

With much better conditions than five days ago, Dave and I launched around dawn without problem. At the mark we set our drift and started casting. I was using the usual power minnow on the cast and a bass assassin shad on the drift. Not too long into the drift the ski lurched as the shad was taken. Took a few seconds to stow the other rod, by which time a fair amount of line had been taken. Started playing the fish only to be smoked quickly.

Next drift same scenario. Though I got to the drifted rod quicker, I never got the fish under control and another leader, jig and sp were lost. More drifts but no more hookups for me. Squid regularly harrying the cast sp so I swapped over to a squid jig which scared them off good and proper (or maybe I wasn't letting it sink deep enough).

We decided to call it a morning shortly after Dave caught a wirrah and a maori wrasse, which I think were the only two fish for the day. A trouble free return and on with the rest of the day.

Good to know there are still some good fish around the spot. My guess is snapper. Will up the drag for my next session

1 comment:

Daft Wullie said...

Food first and then play Dave - next time, there is always next time.