Saturday, November 15, 2008

A short paddle on the wobbly

Took the ski to Spot E to try a launch through gentle surf. An inconvenient portage involving steps to a beach with, today, a very simple launch. Got out, set the rods, and started paddling for the headland. Again, however, I just wasn't comfortable paddling without back support. Persisted for most of the length of the headland but turned around rather than getting too close to some rock-hoppers. Drifted and paddled occasionally without conviction as I had no idea what was beneath me. Headed in when the wind started to pick up. Ski practically got through the small break by itself. No embarrassment in front of a myriad of surfers, wave skis, stand up surfers and joggers.

Once again the ski proved to be extremely well behaved, but I won't use it again until I've fitted a backrest

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah Dave , as your used to a seat and backrest it wouldnt hurt to put one on , i am thinking the same with my ski as its better on the back , good to see it was well behaved through the surf , you will get to love that craft its a winner

Gatesy said...

Dave

sounds like the new toy is a winner although obviously lacking all the necessary add ons like chairs, SOUNDER etc etc

I look forward to it producing the goods

paddleperil said...

Discussed the paddling issues with my osteopath yesterday. Seems my hamstrings are too tight, making it difficult for me to lean forward to paddle without back support. A backrest and exercises to streth the hammies should set me right.

Backrest will be fitted this weekend. Thanks Matt