Sunday, November 26, 2017

Fly fishing at long last

After a good time with the snapper through Autumn, winter was a lean time for fishing. Holiday in June followed by lots of poor weather meant little fishing was done. However there was a 3kg red in July

Trolling the fly on the heavy gear has proven productive for tailor when the were around and more lately for bonito and undersized kings. Even a salmon. Today was no different, with three bonito being picked up before I joined the throng who were sitting over a large school of hungry rats that were hitting everything. After snagging and releasing a couple and looking down and seeing them just sitting mid water and with no breeze, I figured there wasn't a better time to try casting to them

My fly casting has deteriorated since my lessons, but improved after a few casts. An early follow was encouraging then it happened. Rod loaded up while I was stripping. Managed to let out the line without catching on anything and fight the fish like all of those I'd caught on the troll. Only a rat, but it was my first fly fishing success

No comments: